New School year


It's so unbelieveable that I now have a 3rd grader and a Kindergartner.
But at 2 weeks into the school year, all is going well. We had our first parent-teacher conference with Ella's teacher yesterday, at our request. I must admit I had serious reservations about the teacher Ella got this year. After having such a rough time with last year's teacher, I really wanted an experienced teacher for this year. One who was confident enough in her classroom management and curriculum that it wouldn't be difficult for her to make accommodations for Ella, and therefore I wouldn't have to be at the school constantly making sure my child was receiving an appropriate education. I'm just mentally worn out from last year, and didn't want to be constantly fighting battles this year. So I was a bit concerned when we got the letter stating which teacher Ella would have. This is only her 2nd year teaching! Me being the eternal pessimist that I am, immediately wanted a teacher change. So I didn't hesitate to call the principal and voice my concerns. I didn't know anything else about this teacher other than her lack of experience, but that was enough to send me spiraling into my "I can't have another year like last year!" fit. To the principal's great credit she assured me that she considered Ella's placement very carefully and really felt that this teacher's personality and gentleness would be the best fit for Ella. And as for academics, this teacher had the highest test scores of all the 3rd grade team last year even though it was her first year teaching. So we agreed that I would keep an open mind and give her a chance. And I have to say so far I do like her. Our meeting yesterday was very good and we were both thinking similarly on many issues. Ella adores her, although Ella adores all adults even last year's teacher up until the day before the last day of school when she made her cry. So for now, all is well . :)

As to the healthy eating issue we were facing this year, that too has been going well. I ordered these great bento style lunch boxes from Laptoplunches.com and the girls have been having a great time helping me plan out what goes in each day. So far we have mostly used leftovers from dinner to fill the main part of the lunch. I started posting pics of each day's box on my facebook photos but I think I'm going to move those over to here now so I can link up recipes easier and show each week's plan.

 

0 comments: