Election Day!!!

Well tomorrow is election day and I feel it is my duty to go and vote! I actually love voting. And I wish everyone did or at the very least I wish everyone would take it seriously. I mean this year's election isn't a big national election but there are lots of local elections that are super important. And foremost in my mind is the school board election. Being a former teacher and now a mother to 2 children who will be entering the public school system before I know it, I find these elections just as crucial, if not more so, than the election of a U.S. President. I want a school board that is truly knowledgable of education, one who is open to exploring innovative teaching (and year-round schools!), and who desires to get parents more involved in the schools! So with that being said here are my picks for the Johnston County, NC school board: Larry Strickland (He has experience on the school board and he has demonstrated his commitment to our schools and our children through this experince, he is also open to starting a pilot year-round school); Carol Brannock and Brian Hale (for the reasons I've already listed above).

In other races here are my picks:
NC State Senate District 12: Sherry Altman
Clerk Of Court: James Gerrell
Sherriff: Steve Bizzell
Superior Court Judge: Jackie Lee
State Supreme Court Chief Justice: Sarah Parker
State Supreme Court Associate Justices: Patricia Timmons-Goodson, Rachel Lea Hunter, Ann Marie Calabria
State Court of Appeals Associate Justices: Kris Bailey and Linda Stephens

I still haven't decided about the 2nd Congressional District candidates or the District Attorney candidates. I will be finishing my research on them this evening and decide before I go vote.

I really research the candidates I endorse. I used to go vote and go on whatever small amounts of info I may have gathered. But now I realize this is more dangerous than not voting at all. I feel each person has to decide what is important to them and base his or her vote on those decisions. And for this reason, I'd encourage everyone reading this to look up each of these candidates and decide for yourself who better suits your desires. If you disagree with me, so be it, as long as you vote informed & intelligently.

 

0 comments: